Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bon Voyage or Bonne Visage? Traveling with Makeup

Makeup: I'm obsessed. While I long for the days when I could be contented with just a touch of moisturizer, I've come to truly enjoy putting on my makeup (every?) morning. While I condone the ultra-fresh faced look, I know that I personally feel so much more confident and complete with a clean bit of making-up. While it is fun to experiment with the catalog of eyeshadows, blushes, and glosses at our fingertips, I think it is so important to not overdo it. Keeping your makeup chic and simple, but put together, makes sure you look professional and neat, but never overbearing. 

But, as a very visual person, I love examples of looks to give me ideas. With a bit of inspiration, you can get a feel for shades and styles that will complement your features. I really love these, dewy, clean, soft, fresh, and put together looks that  Leighton sports so often.


When it comes to replicating this kind of look at home- simple! You have your vanity right in front of of you! But, when you are on the go, it can be tough to decide which "essentials" are really essential. Because I mean lets be frank, I really do consider most things essential... And that's where my issue lies. But, never fear! It can be done!
In my travel makeup bag, the medium size from Vera Bradley, I have just enough room for the little things. That is, one of everything, not a couple of blushes or tubes of mascara. A primer for face and eyes is essential wherever you go, especially when traveling to some warm destination in the tropics where your makeup is just bound to slide off. To keep the look light, opt for a tinted moisturizer instead of a foundation. If covering up is needed, never forget a good concealer! And every vacation requires a little bit of bronzer, but try and stick to a matte finish as it will serve as both a contour and a faux tan. A shimmerless blush is always a good basic, and for on the go, creme blush is a must! Even the driest of skin can get oily, so don't forget your go-to blotting powder! As for eyes, I'm a bit of a shadow addict. But, in an effort to stay away from too many complicated eye looks, I've opted to leave my Naked palette at home. Instead, I've brought one shade of shadow in a basic neutral.... And if I'm really feeling daring, I can just up the eyeliner! As far as tools go, I'm only bringing the bear basics: a brush that can work for blush and bronzer, an eye brush, and my trusty lash curler! Voila!

Xx


1 comment:

  1. Leighton Meester always looks so put together and is perfect inspiration for makeup! I'm going away next week so your travel makeup tips are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete